Hazardous Household Products
Some common household products can be very dangerous to your
- rat poison
- lighter fluid
- oven cleaner
- mercury thermometers
- wood polish
- toilet and drain cleaners
- shoe polish
- bug spray
- and many other common household
How are children harmed by these products?
Children can be poisoned if products are stored or thrown
away unsafely. Children’s bodies are small, so even a little
bit of some chemicals can cause big problems. Eating or
drinking the products is dangerous. Sometimes, they can burn
skin and eyes, just by touching them. They can make you sick
when they get into your body through your skin or when
breathing in dust or fumes.
How do I know if my child was exposed to a hazardous
Sometimes, the symptoms of chemical exposure are obvious:
The child feels sick or dizzy, her skin could burn and itch
or her eyes might water. Some problems might not occur until
a much later date, such as damage to lungs or cancer.
Consult your doctor if you have any suspicion that your
child may have been exposed to a dangerous chemical.
What can I do to avoid exposure?
First, follow the instructions on the product. Follow
these steps, too:
- Buy what you need to do the job and
- Use safe products whenever possible.
- Read and follow the directions on all
- Keep hazardous products out of the reach
of children, including bleach.
- Keep Poison Control Center telephone
numbers readily available.
- Never mix two products unless you are
sure it is safe.
- For example, never mix ammonia and
- Do not burn containers.
- Recycle the products where possible.
- Give leftover products to someone else.
- Keep everything in its original
- Buy only chemicals in childproof
Hazardous Household Products web links and contact information: