Lead poisoning is a very serious health threat to children. Lead
ingestion causes learning and behavior problems, and even
permanent damage to hearing and the nervous system.
Lead poses a particular risk to children because they often
explore their environment with their mouths. They sometimes eat
chips or dust of lead-based paint. Paint on your walls and
window sills might contain lead. Drinking water sometimes
contains lead from older water piping. Old pottery and gasoline
may also contain lead. Children who crawl on the floor, put toys
in their mouths, or play in soil can be poisoned.
Children with lead poisoning may not feel or look sick. A blood
test is the only way to know for sure. Ask your doctor.
Most lead based products are now illegal. However, many older
homes still have lead in them. The older your home, the more
likely it is to contain lead-based products.
Test your home for lead, especially if you have small children.
Lead web links and contact information:
- Lucas County Health Department (419) 213-4074
- For a packet of materials or questions about lead, call the
National Lead Information Center, (800) 424-LEAD
- For information on lead in drinking water, call the EPA Safe
Drinking Water Hotline, (800) 426-4791 - or visit the website at
- Contact HUD about healthy homes and lead hazard control,
(800) HUDS-FHA -
- For more information on lead in and around the home, see
Home*A*Syst. (608) 262-0024 -